Monday, March 21, 2011

π (pi) Day

Pi, Greek letter (π), is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Pi Day is celebrated by math enthusiasts around the world on March 14th. Pi = 3.1415926535…
Did you know this day was celebrated? I didn't. Until the very day... and good ol' facebook informed me. It got me thinking, I should celebrate this obscure holiday.


How did you celebrate March 14, aka π (pi) day? 


Well, I don't consider myself to be a "math enthusiast"... really I just used it as an excuse to eat piE. I did look up online on ways to celebrate this little hidden holiday, and found some clever ideas... and some not so clever ideas as well. (all i can say is WOW, people are really crazy about math sometimes.) But you can take a look here.


We went with:


  • #5 on the list: Eat 'pi' foods. (we had key lime pie, and pizza pie.)
  • #6 on the list: Do a pi mile run. (needed when you going to have pie, and pizza for dinner.)
All and all it was a good little celebration. I may just do it next year!
Oh, and you got to love the pic of me and cruz in the image above... i'd just finished running, and cruz had been sick all day... even had to stay home from work. (He didn't run a pi.) But it was really the only one of us, so I stuck it in anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment